To DIY or Not to DIY?: Sydney Should Beware of the Bathroom
It’s a great feeling to be able to have your friends over and say “Oh, the bathroom? Yeah, I did that. All me.” Of course, the reality is you won’t be able to do it all without a registered plumber but there’s still plenty for you to do that won’t be intensely plumbing-related. However, renovating or building a bathroom from scratch is a very tricky business regardless if it’s in a cramped apartment in Sydney’s CBD or a big suburban house. If you want to get through it as painlessly as possible, follow these steps:
Image sourced from Shutterstock
1. Know Your Space: It’s rare to come across a bathroom that has plenty of space, so you need to understand exactly how the space in your bathroom is being used and if it can be made to be more efficient. Pull out the tape measure and start making plenty of notes as well as doing some rough sketches to figure out the best set-up.
2. Fixed Fixtures: Not every fixture of your bathroom has to go. Some can be refurbished or dolled up with clever accents like lights and mirrors or even just a new set of shower curtains. Leaving your fixtures alone will save you thousands of dollars which can then be spent on perfecting the room itself.
3. Hard Day’s Work: If you’re going to be getting tiles up and out be ready to work for it. You’ll need a good sledgehammer and plenty of time. Take care to not injure yourself and to be as gentle on your back as possible.
4. Call It In: Legally you can’t actually do all that much to the plumbing or the electrics of your house, so once you’ve got the tiles up and out it’s time to let the professionals come in and do any complex jobs.
5. Makeover Time: Once the experts have been in you can get back on your hands and knees and get those new tiles in and even look at installing vanities and mirrors.
Remember to take a great deal of care not just with the bathroom but with yourself. When it comes to renovating there’s plenty of accidents just waiting to happen. For more bathroom tips take a look at Saving Sydney’s Water: Plumbing Tips for the Bathroom.